Letter from Our Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer and
Our SVP, Director of Energy, Sustainability and ESG
We have been industry leaders for more than a decade and share our processes and our work freely with experts, industry, and government. We are excited to share our inaugural Sustainability Report to highlight our work and plans to continue to set the standard for sustainability in real estate.
ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL, GOVERNANCE STRATEGY
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Properties in Portfolio
Million Sq. Ft
Most Efficient REIT in NYC
Renewable Energy Portfolio Wide
100% of Portfolio WELL Health-Safety Rated
THOUGHT LEADERSHIP, INDUSTRY COOPERATION, POLICY ENGAGEMENT
Leadership is a part of Empire State Realty Trust’s mission. We actively engage and hold leadership positions which share information and shape and inform industry standards and government policy.
THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING:
NEW YORK’S SUSTAINABILITY ICON
The Empire State Building, the World’s Most Famous Building, is the international icon of the New York City Skyline. An urban campus within a single building, it is modernized and amenitized for the 21st century.
The Empire State Building is also the leading international model for energy efficiency retrofits in the existing built environment. We have already reduced GHG emissions by 40% over the past decade.
To achieve the deep energy retrofit we focused attention on the building’s envelope, mechanical systems, and lighting.
Barriers added behind each steam radiator to allow heat to better make its way into the building
Comprehensive reconstuction performed and installed to improve the building’s 6,514 windows’ resistance to heat and cold transfer
State-of-the-art lighting, insulation and elevator technology installed to improve energy efficiency inside the building.
$4.4 million in annual energy savings
40% anticipated reduction in emissions in the next decade
- Environmental and Sustainability Policies and SOPs click here
- For vendors & partners: Sustainability Toolkit
- See ESRT’s President, Chairman and CEO Anthony E Malkin speak on Green Buildings click here
- Learn how the Empire State Building shrank emissions by 40% click here
- Empire State Realty Trust Joins New York State’s $50 Million Empire Building Challenge with Commitment to Carbon Neutrality
- Empire State Realty Trust Earns 2021 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for Leadership in Forward-Thinking Energy Efficiency Initiatives
- The Empire State Building and its related buildings are now powered by wind
- Empire State Realty Trust Becomes Nation’s Largest 100% User of Green Power in Real Estate
- Empire State Realty Trust Achieves GRESB 5 Star Rating in First Year of Participation
- Empire State Realty Trust Achieves WELL Health-Safety Rating